The Online News Association is a nonprofit membership organization for digital journalists — connecting journalism, technology and innovation.
Take a look at what we do.
Join ONA at Reuters UK on April 1, where we’ll dive into how audiences find and interact with news.
Our annual conference is the premier gathering of highly engaged digital journalists. Denver, Sept. 15-17, at the Hyatt Regency.
Online Journalism Awards
The OJAs recognize innovative work in multimedia storytelling. 2016 submissions will open in April.
Stay updated with ONA emails
Events & Opportunities
ONA Weekly 130October 26, 2016
ONA Weekly 129October 19, 2016
Applications open for ONA’s 2017 Women’s Leadership Accelerator at USC-AnnenbergOctober 17, 2016
ONA Weekly 128October 12, 2016
Join the sharpest minds in journalism
Become a Member
Members also receive discounts on entry fees for the Online Journalism Awards, the only annual awards competition that acknowledges the best and the brightest work in digital news, identifying and publicly honoring models of excellence for the profession, with $37,500 in cash awards, courtesy of the Gannett Foundation and John S. and James L. Knight Foundation.
- Career Center: ONA’s online job board, open to the entire digital journalism community, offers access to hundreds of career opportunities. Learn more.
- ONA Local meet-ups: ONA encourages and supports our members in holding regular meet-ups focused on networking, skills and career development, new technology and journalism issues. Check our our growing list of ONA Local cities and activities around the world.
- Social networks: Share, discuss and learn with other members through ONA’s Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn communities that connect educators, students, conference and local event attendees all over the world.
- ONA Issues: Have a burning journalism issue you’d like to learn more about? Join our Tumblr forum, where content — whether breaking news or cool new ideas — is constantly updated.
- ONACamps, courtesy of $150,000 in grants from the Gannett Foundation, bring free customized sessions and workshops direct to cities that are homes to growing entrepreneurial communities, as well as those hit by media closures.
- Online Media Legal Network: ONA’s partnership with the Citizen Media Law Project at Harvard University’s Berkman Center for Internet & Society points our members to free or reduced-fee legal help, including advice on forming and governing a business, copyright licensing and fair use, freelancer agreements, access to government information, pre-publication review of content and representation in litigation.
- ONAvation Webinars: These online training webinars feature future-think presenters who focus on a range of cutting-edge technologies that add depth and scope to storytelling.
Build Your Own Ethics Code
Use our interactive tool to create a code of ethics that reflects journalism practices in the digital age.
ONA Event Manager
Create custom WordPress posts for sessions and speakers using a Google spreadsheet.
A myriad of resources from our last annual conference to bring the sessions, attendees and conversations to you.